Couponers United

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Saving Money on Laundry!

Share

I just received a great email from a reader to help save money on  laundry!! I find myself doing about 2 loads a day!! So, Im all about saving money on detergent. Here is her email/article:

CVS has the 32 load All 3x concentrated laundry detergent on sale for $3.99. Use the $2 coupon in today's paper to make your bottle only $1.99.

Can it get any cheaper than that?

According to my sister, it can! Her father in law is an appliance repairman.  He said that too much laundry detergent is bad for your clothes, the environment, and your washer.  He told her to use 1/4 of the recommended amount for a medium sized load. She's been doing that for 6 months and her clothes are nice and clean. She has 4 children: 1 toddler, 2 preschoolers, and 1 grade schooler.

Today my husband and I decided to try an experiment. We took the recommended amount of All 3x laundry detergent (1 oz) and cut it by 75%. That comes out to 7 ml. We used the measuring cup from a bottle of Tylenol. We washed two loads of laundry. One of darks and one of whites. Guess what? Our clothes are clean and smell really nice.

After a little math I realized that one $1.99 bottle of All 3x will wash 126 loads of laundry! 1.5 cents per load. At one load per day, that's 4 months worth of laundry at fifty cents per month! That's even cheaper than making your own recipe, which costs 2.25 cents per load.

If 7.5ml of laundry detergent doesn't make you feel comfortable, try 1/2 the amount. You'll make your bottle last twice as long. 

Thanks so much Leah!

5 comments:

  1. This is good advice, and one I've found works just as well. Another tip I received from my plumber after a backup problem was to make sure to not always use the cold cycle. While it is good for energy savings, the hot water helps break up the detergent buildup. Since I started using hot water once in a while, I've had no issues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also heard that you can put vinegar in your clothing.. because when you wash your clothing it always has soap still in it. that if you wash it one time with soap the next time just vinegar, and it will get the soap out and still you be suprised it will suds up because of the soap that is still IN the clothing the last time. And your clothes still come out clean.. but then again.. the price you have it set at, I don't think I can do it cheaper than what you posted with vinegar LOL Thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW that's awesome! Thanks so much for posting that and letting us all know, I'm heading to CVS in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I have a family of 8 and we do at least 2 loads of laundry a day. this is so helpful . (PS Im a homeschooler too-homeschooler of 6!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned to use less detergent when my first born was a baby with severe dermatitis. The Dermatologist said that we should use 1/2 of what is suggested at the most. You are right, it saves a LOT of money!

    ReplyDelete